Saturday, December 5, 2009

What does Hong Kong Wear?


Spending one year and ten months in this dynamic city made me think of what to do besides dancing. Having interest in fashion which lead me to studying the art form of making clothes. I worked for a local retail label in the Philippines while dancing on the side (dancing alone will not feed you in the 3rd world), there is no other way I can think of to continue a career in fashion at this point besides observing how people dress and analyzing what affects the way people dress.

As a young boy I experimented in dressing by cutting old curtains, and school uniforms and some of my parents clothes. I glue them or sew them together to create weird pieces of clothing. I went through my over size phase....extra large shirts and pants sweeping the floor...I can throw up just thinking of it... I thought it was cool to wear something that 3 people can fit in, yikes!!! My exposure to fashion was limited in what my aunts and uncles wear in family gatherings, what celebrities put on and me being a groupie I wanted to have what they wear to be cool, CK, Lacoste, Armani. Guess...oh yes mainstream ladies and gentlemen!

Thank you to another love, Dance!!! (contemporary dance) It opened my mind on the limitless possibilities of the body and how to stay away from the norms....to be forward in terms of movement and the philosophy behind it per se. Dance lead me to go to places I've never been to Japan, rural villages in China, Europe. I was amazed on how people look so different not just their physicality but also their aesthetic in dressing. I begin to question what i wear and my undying love on the art form of dressing stemmed from there. Thanks to the world wide web, ukay-ukay(flea markets), sub cultures, new music, contemporary art...you are the saving graces of Fashzyen!!!!

And yes, there is no better place to start this blog but in the shopping capital of Asia ( is it still?) Hong kong!!!!!! Join me as I try to to identify. who wears hk? and what does hk wear?

3 comments:

  1. naiisip ko ang sound of music and the curtains :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. anything and everything! whatever works! to each his own! Go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Steve: same thought.

    "Let's start from the very beginning-- a very good place to start.." hehehe

    ReplyDelete